   RE: [xml-dev] Re: [namespaceDocument-8] 14 Theses

Good to know.  And yes, I know that.

o  Catalog used to map the PUBLIC ID to the SYSTEM ID. Yes?

o  RDDL used to map the namespace id to some set of resources
   identified by purpose, type, etc.

o  As a disambiguator, the PUBLIC ID works as well as
   the HTTP thingie.

In SGML, we are used to the idea of the mapping of the
PUBLIC and SYSTEM IDs at the level of the DOCTYPE.
What happens if the Public ID is used in lieu of the http:
thing string at the element and attribute level?  The
disambiguation functionality still works.  What about
indirection to documented resources?  The PUBLIC ID
has a class description and a version.  That seems
useful for cutting down on what we would have to
get from the ThingAtTheEndOfTheIndirector.

We tossed away NOTATIONs.   They were kinda handy
for mapping an element type to the resource that
handled it.  Now we are saying a namespace string
can do all that a programmer practically needs.

len