   RE: [xml-dev] SOAP-RPC and REST and security

On 20 Feb 2002, at 17:08, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

> There is something to this.  One of the advantages
> for current toolkits is that they enable the use
> of legacy COM objects.  Pick it, click it, wrap
> it and move it to the internet server.  That could
> be a problem for people not smart enough to
> look first or who won't know what to look for.

That's been one of my biggest gripes wrt developing sites.  Nobody seems to
want to use (say) scripting languages as anything more than glue between
other server-side componants.  While I understand the speed and
encapsulation arguments for COM, I find that in practice these objects are
poorly documented if at all.

I much prefer to be able to see the code in my IDE instead of having to go
through the edit->compile->register->test cycle.

Something I don't know - how difficult is it to protect against unwanted side
effects with COM?
Sign Up for NetZero Platinum Today
Only $9.95 per month!