   Re: [xml-dev] SOAP-RPC and REST and security

On 20 Feb 2002, at 21:58, Amy Lewis wrote:

> *shrug*  With a big honking SoapAction on them, in case anyone bothers
> to look.  And *I* can't deploy a service into the corporate webserver
> without approval of the admins.  Maybe this is different in
> cloud-cuckoo land.

Wouldn't it be nice if every company was like that?

> On your *desktop*?  Does your network admin let you run web services
> exposed to the internet?  Shouldn't he be looking into "would you like
> fries with that" training, if so?

Umm.  If you run Windows, you by definition run DCOM.  Is your desktop not
connected to the internet?  Did you not send this email via SMTP?

How...majical.

> Refuse access, of course.  Just as HTTP doesn't go through to your
> probably-insecure desktop web server.  Duh.

How, then, does one connect to one's probably insecure desktop web
server?  String and tin cans?

-- Zach (who happens to have Apache running as well as being connected to
the internet.  Simultaneously.  Via a firewall.)

Sign Up for NetZero Platinum Today
Only $9.95 per month!