   Re: [xml-dev] SOAP-RPC and REST and security

Francis Norton wrote:

> Would a WSDL-specified service using HTTP POST or HTTP GET count as
> REST? If so (or even if not) would passing an XML request block via HTTP
> POST count as REST?

At one point I hoped so but when I dug down into the details the answer,
alas is no. The Web is a resource-centric information system. A WSDL
service description describes *at most* one resource. As soon as you
pass around a URI to another resource the WSDL loses any ability to
describe that other resource. If you generate a resource at runtime
(which almost every web site or web service does) then at "compile time"
there obviously does not exist a WSDL that describes it.

I've started jotting down thoughts about what something like WSDL for
XML-based REST web services would look like:

 * http://www.prescod.net/wrdl.html

 Paul Prescod