   Re: [xml-dev] 3rd party tool

Secure FTP encrypts the data too.  I have a lot of recent experience
scripting SCP on UNIX and Windows and it's better than https in terms of
ease of use.  SCP in SSH2 rides on top of SFTP.

I am very interested in the topic of sending large files (multiple
gigabytes) over the Internet.  I don't think web services are the right
technology to use because the files are just too large.  I think "wait until
the file arrives via FTP"-type scripting is more appropriate.   One also
needs asynchronous events on the sender side, to know when the recipient has
finished processing the file and has sent the results back.  Whether these
events are based on receiving messages over the Internet (SMTP/POP) or just
polling for a file, I don't know.  Polling for files works fine for me on
both ends.  Simple usually wins, at least it should.  Of course there are
always issues with matching up responses to requests.

Unless I am ignorant of recent happenings at the w3c (which is
entirely possible), two-way asynchronous coordinated events are
still not well addressed by the standards bodies or for that matter,
by tools vendors except for (again, possibly) Microsoft's Biztalk.
I do not profess to be a Biztalk expert and in my opinion it's
too expensive, big, heavy, and contrary to Microsoft's efforts,
vendor-specific (ie CLOSED) to be of any value to me.

It would be nice if there existed a free open-source SOAP-based
(no Java interface requirements, please, can we _please_ mature
beyond having to program in the same language and VM) message
queue for asynchronous events. I think Jabber and Hailstorm are
competing in this area, at least peripherally (the main application of
their technology is, of course, instant messaging, the P2P KILLER
APP).

Just ruminating...  Totally off-topic...  This really has nothing to do with
XML...  Sorry, sorry, sorry...  Ow!  OK, let's say the file contains XML!
OK?  Ow!  Boy, this is a rough list for morons like me.  I know you
love to hate me.  ;-)