   Re: [xml-dev] SOAP-RPC and REST and security

Gavin Thomas Nicol scripsit:

> > Security through obscurity is the worst kind of security there is.
>
> I'm not talking about security via obscurity.... but rather not having
> *any* path to a resource unless explictly granted it. One is roughly
> akin to ACL's, the other, capabilities.

It depends on how deep the obscurity is.  If you have to guess a
64-bit truly random number to get access to the resource, it
is effectively secure, which is why a very reasonable implementation
of capabilities is to add such a number to an address.  The
capability can then be passed around without central coordination,
but outsiders aren't going to get any access in practice,
since brute-forcing 64 bits is not practical.

> > Given enough time, someone will always figure out what you are
> > trying to hide.

But there may not be enough time left!

--
John Cowan           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              cowan@ccil.org
To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.  There