From: PH
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Sent: 3/1/02 5:54 AM
Subject: [xml-dev] XML validation using mathematical expressions

Hello,

I am new to this interest group and I have just familiarized myself with
the XML basic concepts and schema validation so bear with me;-)

So far, I have only got theoretical knowledge gained by reading
articles, tutorials (I found Roger Costello's schema tutorial and best
practice guide really useful) and XML books. I have learned that you can
put a lot of control over XML instance documents by properly typing and
constraining elements in XML schemas. I have also learned that you can
extend the schema by enforcing correlation constraints (A > B) by using
other schema's such as Schematron based on XSLT templates.

However, I'd like to take it a step further by introducing non-linear
relationships between elements using mathematical expressions. For
example, I would like to validate that element B < A/sqrt(2).

I'd appreciate any help from the XML development community in achieving
this. Would MathML be of any help?

TIA

Paul van Hagen