   RE: [xml-dev] REST as RPC done right

On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 15:03, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> From: Paul Prescod [mailto:paul@prescod.net]
>
> Plus, the W3C folks have always used a definition of hypermedia that meant:
> "all information, everywhere, hyperlinked."
>
> That's what is specifically and particularly wrong
> with the W3C.  That's hubris, pure and simple.

It also seems strange to me given that perhaps the most innovative
feature of HTML was that it did far _less_ than most hypermedia systems
attempted.

I have to doubt that there's a real benefit to dropping the hypermedia
net over everything. We _could_ redefine the key-based connections
inside relational databases as hyperlinks, or redefine the tables
themselves as information connected by hyperlinks, but I don't know that
it's helpful.

I was a hypertext/hypermedia person before HTML (on the cards side of
the house).  While the foundation of my interest in XML is definitely
hypermedia, I'd rather not water down the word hypermedia by including
"all information, everywhere, hyperlinked."

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!