   Re: [xml-dev] REST as RPC done right

On Friday 01 March 2002 04:18 pm, David Brownell wrote:
> That is, mask the local/remote dichotomy not by trying
> to hide remoteness under a locally-oriented "procedure"
> model (doesn't work well) ... but by hiding local-ness
> under a model that cleanly exposes remoteness.

Yep. It takes a while for people using CORBA/RPC/et al. to realise
that you can't make things truly transparent. Once you do, you change
the way you write applications using those tools.

> REST meets that model better than RPC.  The fact
> that they're Turing-equivalent is beside the point;
> nobody programs Turing machine bytecode.  :)

I agree... though REST doesn't stand alone in this... or is just one
of various flavors of roughly the same programming paradigm.
I'll say again that I think tying REST to HTTP does it a disservice as
an architecture.

FWIW. Most of this is irrelevant anyway.