   RE: [xml-dev] Simple xpath software request

At 10:14 AM +0000 3/2/02, Michael Kay wrote:

>Nothing in a schema can make an XPath 1.0 expression invalid. What is
>possible is that by examination of a schema you can statically determine
>that a particular XPath expression will return an empty node-set.

That seems to me a very dangerous thing to do. While you could
determine that this is true for *valid* documents, not all documents
are valid, not even all documents that reference a schema. XPath
(both 1.0 and 2.0) does not require validity. A conformant XPath
processor should not fail when faced with an invalid but well-formed
document.

I suppose it would be possible to first test validity, and then, once
the document had been validated, use these optimizations. However,
I'm not sure that this would actually buy you anything in the long
run.

|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |