   RE: [xml-dev] A good case for namespace URIs

At 4:32 pm +0100 4/3/02, Nicolas LEHUEN wrote:
>Well, I must say that I don't know govtalk at all, so for me, the fact that
>http://www.govtalk.gov.uk/CR/core is not referenced anywhere in the Govtalk
>schema documentation is rather strange. That's the real problem, not the
>fact that resolving the schema URI gives a 404. I don't think this proves
>anything.

The problem might be that the URI is actually
http://www.govtalk.gov.uk/CM/core,
though I admit that doesn't explain the general difficulty in finding things on
the GovTalk web site!

The GovTalk developers, and UK govt departments in their turn, have adopted
the govtalk URI for a consistent naming scheme for UK government Schemas.
Thus there is .../CM/core, .../CM/envelope, .../CM/errorresponse and a whole
bunch in .../taxation, as well as others. None of these resolve to Schemas,
web pages or RDDL docs.

They (/we - because I'm partly responsible for the 'taxation' portion of this
namespace) have taken the Spec at its word and chosen not to place anything
there to resolve (reasons on a postcard please....). I find it as infuriating
as John sometimes, but unfortunately although Inland Revenue are encouraged
to be consistent, I/we have no jurisdiction over that domain so I can't do
very much about it.

I'm not sure what the right answer is (e.g. Schema source or RDDL) but I do
know one thing - having nothing there is the worst of all possible worlds...
--

Andy Greener                         Mob: +44 7836 331933
GID Ltd, Reading, UK                 Tel: +44 118 956 1248