   RE: [xml-dev] XML doesn't deserve its "X".

I totally agree. That's what I meant by "looking for a proper design
pattern". XML does lack a proper, extensible processing model.

So in the emergency, and without guidelines, people immediatly dropped the
extensibility part when writing their code. Well, at least I did so :).

I mean, I can handle schema evolution. There is nothing that can't be solved
by (re)writing code... But I'd rather write some code that would be less
expensive to maintain when the schema changes, or code that can still
operate in a coherent way when presented with a document following the new
schema. Note that rejecting a document for fear that something wrong could
be performed is coherent, too (think about
http://www.ge.com/services/nuclear/plantcontrol.wsdl).

I'm wondering if an extensible processing model can be built a posteriori on
top of a data model which miss typing (or schema, or whatever anyone wants
to call it) information, both at the document and element level. Unless
element names alone (without their context) are sufficient to process XML
documents in a meaningful and useful way, of course, but I don't think they
are.

Regards,
Nicolas