   RE: [xml-dev] XML doesn't deserve its "X".

There is a related link on Cafe con Leche (thanks Elliote) :

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_534847.html?menu=news.latestheadlines

Laser discs wrote 15 years ago can't be read... What about the Web ? We
still can browse a part of the web's past thanks to the Internet Archive
(http://www.archive.org/), but how will we do this in 5 or 10 years, when
common browsers will support different standards ?

Building a technology should always be done as if it would eventually become
legacy technology. But how to do that ?

The problem is not only related to computers and the Web. Have a look at The
Long Now foundation, which has one objective of building a clock that can
run 10.000 year :

http://www.longnow.org/10kclock/clock.htm

I think the principles can have positive echoes in the XML community :

http://www.longnow.org/10kclock/clock.htm

* Longevity
With occasional maintenance, the clock should reasonably be expected to
display the correct time for the next 10,000 years.

* Maintainability
The clock should be maintainable with bronze-age technology.

* Transparency
It should be possible to determine operational principles of the clock by
close inspection.

* Evolvability
It should be possible to improve the clock with time.

* Scalability
It should be possible to build working models of the clock from table-top to
monumental size using the same design.

Some rules that follow from the design principles:

Longevity:
Go slow
Avoid sliding friction (gears)
Avoid ticking