   Re: [xml-dev] XML doesn't deserve its "X".

Elliotte Rusty Harold wrote:

>>I am changing a text leaf node into a mixed content including 2 text
>>nodes separated by a child element and this will likely break 90+% of
>>the existing applications.
>
> Yes. However, XPath and XSLT based applications will process this
> correctly without blinking because this hasn't changed the string
> value of the ns1:foo element. The more I learn about XPath and XSLT
> the more I'm amazed by them.

Exactly. This goes together with other tips such as "define the
structure of the output document in your stylesheets", "don't rely on
the order of elements in the instance documents", ... which increase the
capacity to deal with the unexpected.

It's unfortunately an exception amongst APIs, tools and languages to
process XML documents.

This makes me think that it could make a useful extension for W3C XML
Schema to define how to deal with the wilcard elements, something such as:

<xs:any namespace="##other" processContents="skip"
foo:process="remove|value-of|copy-of"/>

Eric
--
See you in Seattle.