   Re: [xml-dev] XML doesn't deserve its "X".

Michael Fitzgerald wrote:
> Eric van der Vlist wrote:
>
>>XML is now legacy. Its users community is screaming against any change
>>and its specification body seems paralysed by its structure and the
>>diverging interests of its members...
>>

> SGML evolved. HTML evolved. XML will evolve. As far as "it users community
> screaming against any change," I see this as a very good sign. Such
> resistance is necessary for innovation (obviously) which does not always
> come from established institutions (quite obviously). Innovation will come,
> whispering or screaming, from outside the expected boundaries. Behold RELAX
> NG. James Clark and Murata Makoto merged their innovations under the shelter
> of OASIS, but the sound ideas behind RELAX NG hatched long before April
> 2001. It is, after all, an evolution of the DTD.

RELAX NG is a good example and a good test too. I am convinced that it
is far better than W3C XML Schema but I am not that sure of its real
chances of success against the "established institutions"!

> But XML does not have to do everything right to succeed. Consider vi. Even
> vi has evolved somewhat, but it's been around for a while. I use it almost
> every day (thanks to Bram Moolenaar, et al., VIM, and Cygwin). It cannot do
> all things well but it can do some things very well. (Sorry, I am of the
> old-school sort that given the choice would take regular expressions over
> the mouse on any given day!)

I think I can speak about VIM too: I am just finishing a whole book
(400+ pages) written with VIM :) and can tell it does a very decent XML
editor. I am not sure that it would be the case if it had to be
specified by a 40+ persons working groups, though!

Eric

--
See you in Seattle.
                                        http://knowledgetechnologies.net/