   Re: [xml-dev] Stupid Question (was RE: [xml-dev] XML doesn't dese rve it

Nicolas LEHUEN wrote:

> The question remains whether AFs can provide all the
> flexibility we need to support any kind of schema evolution. The situation
> in which some legacy code needs <firstname> first, then <lastname>, and a
> new document in which those elements are in reverse order cannot be handled
> by AFs, for example.

True, but it's only because of the rigidity of XML DTDs that this
problem even arises.  SGML DTDs and RELAX NG schemas and even W3C XML
Schemas, with limitations, can handle flexible order properly, taking
the burden off AF.

--
John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>     http://www.reutershealth.com