   Re: [xml-dev] canonicalization

At 1:26 PM +1100 3/6/02, Rick Jelliffe wrote:

>A SYSTEM identifier in an entity declaration can be any URI.
>All that would be needed was a version of XML to say "interpret
>XPointers".

Umm, no you can't do that. Section 4.2.2 of the XML spec (2nd edition) states:

  It is an error for a fragment identifier (beginning with a #
character) to be part of a system identifier.

This pretty effectively rules out the possibility of using fragment
identifiers whether XPointers or otherwise. (I suppose this is one of
those annoying not necessarily fatal, not necessarily unfatal errors
that is neither a well-formedness error nor a validity error, but I
certainly wouldn't recommend counting on that.)