   Re: [xml-dev] Visiting your cake and eating it too (was Stupid Question)

Rick Jelliffe wrote:
> But surely there is a pragmatic consideration too: rather than doing
> three traversals of data, one can kill three birds with one stone.
>
> So perhaps the issue is not so much that specs (such as DTDs and
> XML Schemas) bundle data-typing, value augmentation and validation
> together, as an insult against the God of Layering, but that the specs
> do not bring out that these three functions are Visitors (factoring out
> uniqueness & keyrefs for argument).

Agreed. (I figured somebody would point this out.)

One consequence of the specs not bringing this out is that the software
implementing those specs is likely not to separate the functions either.
That is, it is completely reasonable to put all three (or more)
functions in the same piece of software and let the user decide what
they want.

-- Ron