   RE: [xml-dev] JSP or XSL?

  • To: "XML DEV" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] JSP or XSL?
  • From: "Manos Batsis" <m.batsis@bsnet.gr>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 16:54:41 +0200

> From: Mike Champion [mailto:mc@xegesis.org]

> I would be very interested in seeing a few non-trivial
> problems of this
> sort being addressed both ways, with the solutions shared/critiqued,
> so that we can all get a better handle on the guidelines for when a
> JSP (or ASP, or PHP, or "DOM code filling in an XML
> template") approach is
> more effective, and when a pure XSLT approach is more effective.
> Has anyone done something like this before?

Unfortunately I haven't tried to do this piece of work with JSP (my
employers are M$ partners) XSLT beats the programmatical DOM approach
(using ASP/ASP.NET). Plus XSLT code is much more compact and easy to
write/read/maintain/modularize/port.

Another major advantage of XSLT is that you can do the transformation on
the client (now both IE and Mozilla) if you detect it as applicable.

Of course this is just my view of things ;-)

Manos