   Re: [xml-dev] Refactoring XML ? was [xml-dev] Re: What is an XMLDocument

3/8/2002 9:21:32 AM, Daniel Veillard <veillard@redhat.com> wrote:

>> I'd say that the XML community should be anticipating, and trying to head
>> off, this situation today rather than when it becomes a crisis.
>
>  It's management basics, yes. I understand the goal, I'm not convinced so
>far with the argument that one should follow road A specifically. Actually
>I'm still wondering if going any new direction makes real sense.

Fair enough.  I don't claim to have a great vision of how this can work
better.  A serious analysis might indeed show that XML 1.0 as specified
is a good basis for moving forward, and we just need to educate the
newbies about its benefits rather than dumbing it down to be newbie
friendly.  But what I'm seeing are things like SOAP, and Tim Bray's XML-SW, that
throw out DTDs altogether.  The major pushback that I'm seeing is more
"that will break my legacy system" rather than "we really NEED that going forward."
Maybe I'm just not paying attention to the latter?

I'm reminded of the old joke:

"Our greatest asset is our loyal customer base.
 Our greatest liability is our loyal customer base."