   Re: RE: [xml-dev] Tim Bray on "Which Technologies Matter?"

On Fri, 2002-03-15 at 17:52, Mike Champion wrote:
> Well, I had a similar reaction the first time I read the
> presentation.  Then I turned it around: If it weren't for
> HTML and XML, no one (outside of our tiny little world
> circa 1996) would argue that SGML "mattered."

Heh.  I was a HyperCard guy who thought markup was an insanely complex
hassle.  The HyTime stuff I'd read while searching generally for
hypermedia looked downright catastrophic, and I thought for about a year
that HTML would go absolutely nowhere - markup just seemed insanely

Then I learned a little better... but still don't go near SGML per se.

And my hypermedia side is saddened but can't help agreeing with Bob
DuCharme's piece at:

As much as I'd like to, I have a really hard time saying XLink matters
right now.  Kind of funny given my initial reaction to markup for
hypermedia and my eventual conversion.  Oh well.

Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!