   Re: [xml-dev] XLinks

From: "Mike Champion" <mc@xegesis.org>

> I think the most significant advantage that XPath 2 / XQuery will
> offer is "joins" to handle relationships that are implied
> by values rather than demanded by pointers.  This is exactly
> Date's point -- find relationships that exist at runtime with joins
> rather than hard-code them with links/pointers.

Some documents represent a snapshot at the current time.
Some documents represents a snapshot at some particular time.

The former may require runtime resolution of links, but the latter
can well use hardcoded links (i.e. the named result of some
previous query.)

I  am not sure we need to deem that hardcoded links are good and
queries are bad, or vice versa, if the question is really just one
of timing.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe