   Re: [xml-dev] re: Tim Bray on "Which Technologies Matter?"

>Perhaps we can say "What matters to Tim Bray" is de-emphasizing
>SGML and emphasizing XML!

I'd like to apologize to Tim for bringing this presentation, which
was intended to supplement his talk and not stand on its own,
to the attention of this list.  I'm sure that we all agree that SGML
"matters" in some larger sense, but it seems self-evident that it doesn't
get as much visibility as its offspring HTML and XML.  I imagine that
Tim clarifies what he means by "not matter" in person, maybe
"why didn't SGML get the respect  it deserves, given the success
of its offspring."  But this is hard to get across in a PowerPoint
slide, and I should have realized that the slides would be misinterpreted
in isolation.