-----Original Message-----
From: W. Hugh Chatfield I.S.P. [mailto:hchatfield@urbanmarket.com]

Hmmm...

I have access to the WWW..
I have an SQL database...

I am aware of the need to multiply link resources on the WWW.. perhaps first
described in Vannevar Bush's "As We May Think" article in Atlantic Monthly
1945 - where he envisioned the creation of an external "named trail" that
could be shared (although he saw it as linking microfilm frames - but same
difference - it was 1945 after all)
( see
http://www.itworldcanada.com/portals/portalDisplay.cfm?oid=452AE6D8-0D81-414
3-8F41E0F3C47AEA41...)

Yet I still can't build and share these links...

Building would take a bit of programming but it seems to me that the sharing
part insists on some level of abstraction completely divorced from the
underlying implementation technologies.

A document I create in "Electric Pencil" can't easily be shared - but if I
could save it as XML, then it can more easily.

A "Vannevar Trail" I create using some local code using a relational DB
system can't be easily shared  - but if I could save it as XLink, then it
can more easily.

So I think you are right... XLink may only be a convenient transport layer
(in the same way XML may only be a convenient transport layer for content).

Ted Nelson (although he thinks XML is a mistake
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/w3j/s3.nelson.html) considered the visible display
of links to be of some importance (see http://xanadu.com/cosmicbook/ ).
Methinks he is right as well.

The real problem seems to be what to do with these things - how to share
them - how to process them - how to display them .. not what particular
underlying technology could be used for implementation.

Cheers...Hugh

W. Hugh Chatfield  I.S.P.
CyberSpace Industries 2000 Inc.
XML Consulting & Training