   Re: [xml-dev] Tim Bray on "Which Technologies Matter?"

On Sun, 2002-03-17 at 20:18, Paul Prescod wrote:
> Did SGML matter? Yes, of course, without it XML would not exist or might
> well be radically different (s-expressions?). Is SGML a thriving,
> growing technology separate from its XML incarnation? I personally do
> not think so. SGML has achieved its success under the name XML.

Overall, I think Paul's right here, and have for a long time.

At the same time, though, I still feel I have a lot to learn from SGML.
The layers of SGML functionality that XML dropped still look strange to
me, but over time I think we're more or less doomed to reinvent,
hopefully in better ways.  The SGML Declaration in particular seems to
be haunting XML, as we find new ways to tie ourselves in knots with
piles of XML specs.

After thirty or forty years of markup, it seems there's still a lot to
learn.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!