   Re: [xml-dev] Tim Bray on "Which Technologies Matter?"

Marcus Carr wrote:

> Documents that are valid, for starters. Well-formed documents are a double-edged
> sword, while they may suit the data provider, they might not suit the recipient. In
> XML, you're compelled to employ a business rule to ensure that what you get is what
> you want.

In either case you need to use a business rule to ensure that the data
conforms to some *particular* DTD as opposed to being:

<!DOCTYPE html [
<!ELEMENT html (bar)> <!-- I'm in total control now! -->
]><foo/>

> .. No such ambiguity exists for SGML - documents are either valid, or
> rejected (leaving aside the semantics of the markup).

Nit: that's not the case for today's SGML standard but I'll agree that
that's common in SGML tools.

> SGML wouldn't be a thriving growing technology even if XML had never come along.
> It's not the sort of technology that was ever going to aquire mass acceptance.

I think that's exactly Tim's point. He could have phrased it more
charitably.

 Paul Prescod