   Re: [xml-dev] Tim Bray on "Which Technologies Matter?"

From: "Tim Bray" <tbray@textuality.com>

> 5. The real point is that a bunch of things that ought to be predictors
>     for technology success (thus defined) don't work very well.

Yes, it is an astute point and must have been an interesting talk.

> 10. Several people have hurt feelings over my suggestion that SGML was
>      not successful.

No hurt feelings on my part.  SGML has not been particularly kind to companies
trying to make money from it, even though it certainly proved itself in its niche
for saving money and enabling complex batch projects to be undertaken.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe