   RE: [xml-dev] Tim Bray on "Which Technologies Matter?"

>>6. I claim that hitting an 80/20 point is a strong predictor of
>>    success (positive and also negative in that technologies that
don't
>>    hit it usually don't succeed), that there are a few less strong
>>    predictors (happy programmers, good early implementations,
technical
>>    elegance), and that military backing is a weakish negative
>>    indicators.

>I had hoped that people would hit on some of these points.  Are there
any
>technologies that DID hit a clear 80/20 point that lost out in the
>marketplace to more complex competitors (that weren't already
entrenched)?

How does one know when a given technology reaches the 80/20 point other
than by its success in the marketplace? Maybe the 80/20 point is a good
predictor of success, but the whole concept of 80/20 is too slippery for
me to grasp. Could someone tell me how does one design something to hit
the 80/20 point?

StanD.