   manipulating whole XML documents as text

I'm attempting to rebuild in XML some HyperCard work I did in 1992,
which used keyword matching to establish links.  At one point I was
hoping that XPointer would make this an easy thing to do, but for now
the lack of support for XPointer in browsers is taking me down another
path, toward transformations.

Does anyone know of an XML implementation which provides read/write
access to the contents of elements in the document as text, and makes
changes to that text - including the insertion of new elements - to the
elements underlying it?

Yes, I know this is largely what XML editors do for humans, but I'm
looking for something I can do from a program, preferably from Java.  If
I can't find anything, I'll probably build these capabilities into MOE,
but it would be nice to at least prototype this without creating a whole
new set of object model interactions.  Anything crossing element
boundaries will be difficult, but hopefully not insurmountable.

Maybe Ted Nelson was right about out-of-line markup having advantages.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!