   Re: [xml-dev] "Which Technologies Matter?" & xml processing model s...

> XML is SGML as practiced.  XML stands where
> it stands because those standing there before
> it understood their problems. That is simply fact.
> No one's feelings are hurt by that.   Some may want
> more credit than can be had from simple facts,
> but that is the politic of envy and insecurity.
> If their feelings are hurt by being denied this,
> then they have to deal with that.
>
> VB is a very successful programming language,
> probably the most successful one to date for
> all of the reasons Tim cited originally.

Probably the wrong thread on which to nit-pick, but I highly doubt this
statement.

Measuring the success of programming languages is very hard, but I find it
near impossible to think of a criterion by which C is not *by far* the most
successful language ever.  Whether longevity of active usage, total number of
LOC deployed, number of language implementations, number of derivative
languages, variety of practical uses applied, words written about it, etc...

I'd also place FORTRAN and SQL before Visual Basic, and I'd have some
difficulty over the relative placement of Java and VB.

uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com               +1 720 320 2046
4735 East Walnut St, Boulder, CO 80301-2537, USA
XML strategy, XML tools (http://4Suite.org), knowledge management