   RE: [xml-dev] "Which Technologies Matter?" programming languages

>> All of these are perceptions but if we count money,
>> a lot more people are making money programming with
>> VB than C.
>
> I *highly* doubt this.  I think you're forgetting the huge embedded
systems
> market, which is dominated by C and close to 100% commercial (on the large

> scale).

He's also overlooking the simple fact that just about every VB application
of any complexity ships with one or more custom DLLs (it's not unusual to
have a VB app of < 250k ship with several megs of custom, non-system DLLs).
I'd say probably 90% of those DLLs are written in C++ and most of the
remainder in Delphi.

Don't get me wrong, I've actually grown to *like* VB as a front end and it
*might* well be the most successful *front-end* development product to date
- but, for every entry-level programmer doing front ends and "fluff"
software in VB there are probably two experienced C programmers in the back
room making the product work well enough to keep users happy (and making 50%
to 100% higher salary than the VB guy, too)!

John Atchley
Senior Software Analyst
Engineering and Design, Courseware Support
FlightSafety International, Inc.
mailto:John.Atchley@FlightSafety.com