   Zvon - RFC repository

Hello,

last June I  announced at xml-dev the beginning of Zvon RFC repository
project:

At this moment a very important milestone has been reached:

all on-line accessible  RFCs were transformed to XML format and
processed:

The repository features:
- clickable table of contents
- titles on all levels are searchable
- RFC dependencies including the list of RFCs the current RFC is referred
by and W3C standards referring to the current RFC
- obsoleted RFCs have different style
- main indexes show obsolation chains
- index of humorous RFC ( some are really good :) )

I have started to harness the material to leverage the material
usefulness:

RFC status codes search -
http://zvon.org/tmRFC/RFC_share/PHP/numbersSearch.php

searches status codes of selected standards and links to relevant parts of
the specification

The repository is based on over 3100 XML files (200 -  10 000
lines long) manually tagged (with some parts automated by Python scripts,
and with a major emacs mode created for RFC processing.
It was not an easy job and it brought me quite a few steps toward a
lunatic asylum but the worst part is finally over.

I have corrected quite a few misconceptions in my head during the process,
e.g.:
- all characters in  RFCs are from  ASCII set
- there are only 99 ways how to specify chapters  and other sections
- reference citations usually lead to some literature in Bibliography
section
- ...
- ...

but on the other hand I was amazed by a quality of text of many RFCs,
I must applaud the decision to use an unique integer as an identifier for
each RFC (it is a real pity W3C did not choose this way), and I felt a
touch of nostalgia ( several RFCs are several months older then me).

I hope you will enjoy the result.

<firstName> Miloslav </firstName>
<surname>   Nic      </surname>

<mail>    nicmila@systinet.com    </mail>