   Re: [xml-dev] Who can implement W3C XML Schema ?

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 10:31:21AM -0500, Jonathan Robie wrote:
> I don't have good statistics on this, but I sure do see a lot more schemas
> in the real world than you seem to.

That's not surprising.  What will be surprising is if the number of
people using *any* schema language increases over the years.  The vast
majority of XML applications I've seen, created and used over the years
do not use validation.  I'd give equal weight to the fact that DTDs
don't do enough and that DTDs are frequently seen as unnecessary.

The only time I personally use validation in an XML document is
when I'm trying to use the XPath id() function in a stylesheet.  And
I've been using key()s recently to avoid even that...

Having taught classes in XML Schema before, there are some ideas I
really, *really* like in the recommendation, but not so much that I want
to start writing (and supporting) schemas.  :-S

> Does anybody have real data on the market penetration of XML Schema? I
> think that vendor support for XML Schema is clear, but if Adam is right,
> that's irrelevant. Vendors seem to believe that people are actually using
> XML Schema, too. Are they right? Do we have real evidence on this question?

It would be nice to see those answers clarified to the simple
DTD+Datatypes type of schemas you mentioned vs. everything else.

Z.