   Re: [xml-dev] Who can implement W3C XML Schema ?

Adam Turoff wrote:

> It's not just time and inclination that's a factor here.  It's the fact
> that XML Schema is about as user-friendly as a stick in the eye.

Part of this comes from its XML syntax and the only thing I find rather
clear in the Rec are the synopses, such as for instance:

<attribute
   default = string
   fixed = string
   form = (qualified | unqualified)
   id = ID
   name = NCName
   ref = QName
   type = QName
   use = (optional | prohibited | required) : optional
   {any attributes with non-schema namespace . . .}>
   Content: (annotation?, (simpleType?))
</attribute>

which is way clearer than its schema counter part:

<xs:complexType name="attribute">
   <xs:complexContent>
    <xs:extension base="xs:annotated">
     <xs:sequence>
      <xs:element name="simpleType" minOccurs="0"
type="xs:localSimpleType"/>
     </xs:sequence>
     <xs:attributeGroup ref="xs:defRef"/>
     <xs:attribute name="type" type="xs:QName"/>
     <xs:attribute name="use" use="optional" default="optional">
      <xs:simpleType>
       <xs:restriction base="xs:NMTOKEN">
        <xs:enumeration value="prohibited"/>
        <xs:enumeration value="optional"/>
        <xs:enumeration value="required"/>
       </xs:restriction>
      </xs:simpleType>
     </xs:attribute>
     <xs:attribute name="default" type="xs:string"/>
     <xs:attribute name="fixed" type="xs:string"/>
     <xs:attribute name="form" type="xs:formChoice"/>
    </xs:extension>
   </xs:complexContent>
  </xs:complexType>

Why not follow the example of RELAX NG and define a non XML syntax
around the lines of the synposes?

Eric
--
See you in Paris.