   RE: [xml-dev] MSXML DOM Special Chars Less Than 32

> From: Michael Brennan [mailto:Michael_Brennan@allegis.com]

<snip/>

> Actually, MSXML is doing the right thing, here. XML 1.0
> explicitly disallows
> such characters in content -- even if they are encoded.

I should clarify that last statement before someone else does it for me. As
someone else once said on this list, I need to learn to type slower or think
faster. :-)

You cannot include such characters in XML, even if you try to include them
via character references (e.g. &#1;).

You can either use application-specific tags to represent such characters
(e.g. <char code="1"/>), or you can encode your content using hex or base64.
The former approach is probably more advantageous if most of the content is
readable text with only some control characters. The latter is appropriate
where there is a high proportion of control characters, or in instances
where your content is not really text but is binary data.