   Re: xml-dev Digest 21 Mar 2002 20:57:39 -0000 Issue 213

> [Alaric Snell]
>
> > On Thursday 21 March 2002 02:05, Thomas B. Passin wrote:
> >
> > > Otherwise we
> > > might as well use asn.1 as an informal schema language to indicate
> > > structure and constaints (this is not a slur against asn.1, BTW, for it
> > > could do a good part of the schema job of indicating structure pretty
> > > well).
> >
> > [cough, ahem] *informal*? With the addition of XML as an ASN.1 encoding
> > ruleset, ASN.1 can now be used as an XML schema language :-)
> >

> And good to hear from you, too, Alaric!  You mean it's official now, or just
> that the wirk has stabilized and is chugging through the official approval
> process?

X.693 (XER Encoding Rules) has been approved on Dec. 22, 2001.
It is pre-published at:
http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/studygroups/com17/languages/X.693_0901.pdf

> Is there a link to the final version?  I saw an earlier one, but
> don't think I have a link for it anymore.

The XML notation for ASN.1 values is mainly defined in X.680:2002
(X.693 is referencing that standard).
Before the end of July, the 2002 edition of the ASN.1 standard will be
pre-published (and will be free on the ITU-T website).
The current *very stable* drafts (we are not allowed to make
technical changes) are at:
http://asn1:notation1@ties.itu.int/ftp/asn1

In other words, the work *is* stable and XER tools have been announced
(http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/links/#xml)

We're now working on XCN (XER Control Notation), a notation that
allows the user to tune the XER generated by default.
You might want to have a look at the presentation at:
http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/xml/ASN1-and-XML.htm

Another big advantage of ASN.1 as a schema notation for XML is IMHO its
associated canonical XER encoding (CXER). More information at:
http://asn-1.com/cxer.zip
--
Olivier DUBUISSON
france telecom R&D