   RE: [xml-dev] Do Names Matter?

I think names do not matter that much, but overloading of well-defined
terms matter. One term which is overloaded by XML community is forest --
which traditionally means unordered set of trees. XML community has
overloaded it to mean ordered list of trees. It is quite confusing. All
this, in spite of the well-defined term "hedge" which is defined purely as
ordered list of trees.

Another term which is overloaded is tree pattern matching. It is
overloading if you say XQuery does tree pattern matching -- what XQuery
does is very different from what we know in string pattern matching.. In
other words the following is true: A tree matching system can be used for
matching strings, but XQuery cannot be used for matching strings.

Anyways, RELAX was introduced at a time when people who were using XML
Schemas, those trying to implement XML Schemas from W3C, and those who
were developing the XML Schema spec were tense and over-worked :) It was
introduced so that they can RELAX by adopting RELAX. I think the name
RELAX suits quite perfectly.. RELAX NG also suits I believe.

cheers - murali.