   RE: [xml-dev] MSXML DOM Special Chars Less Than 32

Why impossible?

You just mentioned a format that fulfills the requirements (mixed content,
using special elements to represent the offending characters):

	here we have a <ctl:bel xmlns:ctl="..." /> character.

If there's an *additional* requirement that the format may not affect
validation, then there'd be still the possibility to use PI-based escapes:

	here we have a <?ctl-bel?> character.

However, I'm not sure that this requirement really exists (it certainly
doesn't for SOAP and WebDAV).

(it would be great if this discussion would lead to a common approach that
could be applied to multiple protocols / XML formats).