   Re: [xml-dev] XML in the alleged Real World (was Re: [xml-dev] DoesXML-D

3/24/2002 5:21:24 PM, "Frank Richards" <frank@therichards.org> wrote:

>Before we suffer too much angst here, let me ask if Mikes example is actually perfectly harmless.
>I know I've had several situations where I have some procedural code, then an XSLT transform,
>and maybe some more code. In those cases I certainly felt no shame in taking anything that was
>hard in XSLT and easy in procedural code and just sticking it into one of the code segments rather
>than tearing my hair over the XSLT, If I hadn't already been writing code I'd have tried harder on the XSLT.
>
>IMO, that's working smart, not either dumb programmer or bad spec.

That's a good point (and I need to remember to have it on the tip of my tongue when
people complain about XSLT!).  I think there is a *bit* of an "declarative
good, procedural bad" meme out there, and I sometimes see people leaning over backwards
to avoid sticking in that bit of Javascript that would do the trick.  That seems to me
like saying that wrenches are good but hammers are bad -- you need both in your toolbox.