   RE: [xml-dev] Passing an external value to an xml file

You can do this using client-side scripting. You can't do it by simply
the stylesheet to be parameterized. But if you invoke the transformation
from JavaScript in your HTML page, you can supply a parameter indicating
which records to display. You can find examples of this in the MSXML
Appendix of my "XSLT Programmer's Reference" and no doubt many other XSLT
resources.

A word of warning: downloading the entire employee database to the client
machine, in order to display one record, may be very inefficient, and may
also have security implications. This is definitely a case where a
server-side solution seems preferable.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com