   RE: [xml-dev] XML in the alleged Real World (was Re: [xml-dev] Does XML-

  • To: <michael.h.kay@ntlworld.com>,"Mike Champion" <mc@xegesis.org>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] XML in the alleged Real World (was Re: [xml-dev] Does XML-Dev m...
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 02:06:38 -0800

It is exactly this kind of reasoning by the designers of W3C XML technologies that is the bane of XML.

XML is being used by the "man on the street" developer not just the MIT graduates who cut their teeth on Scheme and Haskell. So designing XML technologies as if they are expected to only be used by talented programmers with impressive educational pedigrees is probably not the wisest policy.

I am actually curious as to how you've convinced people that the fact that XSLT doesn't have variables [or semi-decent text manipulation facilities] and it takes one a two page stylesheet to simulate a for loop will give them as you put it " gain [that] is worth the pain" ?