   RE: [xml-dev] XML in the alleged Real World

>Again, I don't think we as language designers can solve that problem now, we
>have to rely on the educators.

A lot of people try to learn XSLT by downloading one of the free XSLT processors and playing with some examples. There is nothing wrong with doing that, except that if you really want to do serious work with XSLT, you need to go back to the fundamentals. That means you need to understand the abstractions underlying the language. Abstraction is at the core of computing.

In that regard, I belive the XML Infoset is a very important spec for any one who is new to the XML world. For XSLT, newcomers need to do the following:

1. Understand the problems with procedural programming
2. Understand what is functional programming
3. Understand why functional programming is good for XSLT (or rather good for what XSLT is designed to do)
4. "Unlearn" procedural programming techniques while learning XSLT syntax

--
Joel Amoussou
XML Programmer & Instructor