   RE: [xml-dev] XML in the alleged Real World

If your editor will allow it and if the author is right that it is
a death trap:

a) sales-oriented editors loathe to include negative information.
Pick your publisher accordingly and if you can, make sure the
choice of flag for required technical ability is conservative.

b) technical editors want to be *sure* the news is negative.  I
can't count the numbers of descriptions of DTDs from early XML
books I edited that had to be re-written because they were factually
incorrect, or toned-down because they advocated a politic that
was not necessarily in the consumer's best interests.

My guess is that an XML Schema book published at this time
might have both sets of problems.

A good open conversation among the author, technical and
managing and production editors is a good thing for the
new books on the latest emerging technologies.  It usually
doesn't work that way.

Anyone noticed that technical book publishing is in something
of a slump right now?   The vendors need to pick up the slack.

len

From: Joshua Allen [mailto:joshuaa@microsoft.com]

And since only
two percent of the travelers read the map before heading off across the
field, it is up to the book authors and tool vendors to put big orange
flags near the death-traps that we discover, so more people make it to
the land of productivity without getting bad attitudes.