-----Original Message-----
From: AndrewWatt2000@aol.com [mailto:AndrewWatt2000@aol.com]

Perhaps you mean they don't pay their tech editors very much? I have done tech editing for several publishers and I never knew what the authors were being paid.

A tech editor will (quite sensibly, given the relative time investments) be paid only a fairly small fraction of what the author gets, in a typical scenario.