   Inheritance and Architectural Forms (was RELAX NG Marketing)

Leigh,

Interesting, when I searched on Google yesterday for some insights into
inheritance in XML, the most comprehensive discussion that I came across was
from this very list and dated (gasp!) April 1998. Plus ca change... I
started reading with a mail from yours truly
(http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-Apr-1998/0201.html) and
followed the thread down. There's a lot of very detailed commentary about
Architectural Forms from people whose knowledge of the topic is orders of
magnitude more complete than mine will ever be (God willing :-).

I believe that you are correct that AFs can handle the kind of polymorphic
behavior that I have been talking about. There are two problems with this:

1) AFs take SGML as gospel and so try to squeeze new features into it with a
lot of extremely clever but somewhat arcane hacks, making the whole thing a
kludgy and hard to understand.
2) To get the benefit of AFs you need an AF-aware processor, and I'm not
aware of such a beast being available to the XML-using masses (but I suspect
that someone will enlighten me).

Matt