   RE: [xml-dev] Capitalism and XML (was RELAX NG Marketing)

To come back to the RELAX NG marketing issue, I really don't see any domain
where XML Schema is preferable to RELAX NG, apart from tool support.

And why has XML Schema a better tool support ? Because it is so. Because
everybody let the market decide instead of making an decision in good faith.
Because XML Schema was proposed by the W3C, which is sponsored by vendors.
So vendors influenced vendors, and what we get is a vendor-friendly
technology (expensive to implement (even in open-source), expensive to use,
with nice formal specs to please nerds and make sure that common people
can't get it).

Just have a look at the xml-dev archive and count the number of threads with
this synopsis :

Q] How do I do xxxx in a DTD / XML Schema ?
A1] You can, by doing (very complicated explanation) / You cannot, sorry
A2] However, you can do it with RELAX NG by doing (way more simple
explanation).

To me, it's pretty obvious. What is the point in using XML Schema ?

So what does RELAX NG really needs ? Tool support.

Why is tool support so problematic ? Because each tool vendor has to
implement the support for a given schema language himself, even if it is not
its core business.

Why can't he reuse already existing code ? Partly because until now,
parsing, schema parsing and validation are mangled in the same code base, so
that you can't take a part without taking all, which is not acceptable for
many reasons, both technical and economical. Schema parsing and validation
is not considered as an independant module (apart in the JARV, Jing and Sun
MSV projects), so this slows the progress of schema languages towards
technical quality (simplicity, flexibility, completeness), and bind its
progress to political and short-term economical decisions.

That is the reason why I really believe in the necessity of a careful
definition of independent concerns in XML (parsing, abstract grammars,
validating, transport, etc.), and the definition and progressive refining of
APIs for those different concerns. Each time different concerns are not
properly separated, each time they are not properly orthogonalized, it is a
slowing factor, and the opportunity for politics to jump in the bandwagon.

And now, for the mother of all politic battlefields : the definition of
APIs... :)

Regards,
Nicolas