   Re: [xml-dev] Capitalism and XML (was RELAX NG Marketing)

"Bullard, Claude L (Len)" scripsit:

> Some further questions:  say I have to design a
> schema of some type and associate it to other
> schemas based on it.  In other words, I would
> have a schema of abstractions that the secondary
> schema would make more substantial by derivation.
>
> 1. Is RNG up to that?  How?

Not if it's dynamic/transformational.  You can write RNG schemas
with wildcard names, but the extent to which you can handle unordered
element content with fully wildcarded names is very limited.

> 2. Would the AF NG be a way to get that done?

AF NG basically does what AF does, but with an external configuration
file rather than attributes defaulted in from the DTD.  It can:

	statically map an element name to a different name;
	dynamically map an element name to a different name
		held in a specific attribute of that element;
	rewrite attribute names;
	rewrite tokens in attribute values;
	convert simple content into the value of an attribute;
	leave out child elements or replace them with their content;
	leave out character content;

AFAIK the only other thing AF can do is turn an attribute value into
character content, which IMHO is not necessary.

> I've drafted such a thing using XML Schema for
> the HumanML project.  We are about to finalize
> requirements and have picked XML Schema as well
> as RDF.  But you are right that XML Schema is
> not easy and I have a queasy feeling that our
> target user groups for HumanML will have a hard
> Should we reconsider and
> if so, should we simply include RELAX NG along
> with XML Schema, or perhaps use it?

I would have to see details, but I think using RNG for the
base schema would make a lot of sense.

--
John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>     http://www.reutershealth.com