   Re: [xml-dev] Capitalism and XML

Nicolas, I second everything you wrote, so I'll just add two points:

- The aspect unique to mankind is that consciousness and intelligence have
made culture more important than biological determinism - so any theory
based on that sort of determinism and negating or ignoring the role of
culture (in the broadest sense) should be examined with great skepticism.

- I was mentioning Orwell's "1984" yesterday because Orwell made a wonderful
demonstration of the importance of language. Controlling language (Newspeak)
was a key aspect of totalitarianism, and history was constantly rewritten to
make the past conform to the reality-du-jour determined by Big Brother. I
leave it up to Len to make a connection with SGML/XML historical revisionism
here :-)

There *is* another connection to XML... Controlling vocabularies and
ontologies - i.e. language - will give tremendous power to those who do, as
discussed in Clay Shirky's enlightening piece [1], so it "should" not be
done without democratic control in any domain that truly matters. Let's keep
our fingers crossed.

ObFrenchBookReference: Pierre Bourdieu's Language and Symbolic Power. A very
hard read that I just undertook, but this time it's available in english [2]
so there's not excuse to ignore it, right ? I'll check the Amazon Sales Rank
and see it get closer to the top, or at least higher than [3].

[1] http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/10/03/webservices.html
[2] http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0674510410/
[3] http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0609807013

Alain (who just laid an egg)