   Re: [xml-dev] Capitalism and XML

Since this thread steadfastly refuses to die a dignified death, and
has included a few people whose intellects I respect and whose
normally level-headed and even-handed approach to such ideas has at
times been overset by these ideas, I went to the effort to chase this
down. It smelled fishy at the start, and worse at its heart.

First let me say that I just plain don't buy the biological model as
being applicable to other arenas especially when applied to concepts
like knowledge management, but I will set that aside for the moment,
noting that I happen to belong the Global Knowledge Economics
Council, which does use an ecological model to some extent, about
which I also have some fairly serious reservations. Face it, these
models are theories at best and have a lot of holes in them in their
own specific disciplines.

I think the first thing that threw an exception error in my head was
this "...selfish behavior based on this principle can lead to
altruistic behavior..." A whole world of emotionally fraught conflict
just raged over the word "can." Imagine. It isn't even an assertion
that it "does." So the arguments were over a mere possibility. NAH.

Then you need to consider that the Economonist did indeed turn toward
conservativism many years ago, and then simply lost its right to be
considered unbiased journalism, and it was for me one of the saddest
development of the late eighties, but a decade of Reagan/Thatcherism
can do that to you. I called it Ratcherism and it wasn't funny then,
and it is a lot worse now.

In my opinion we lost our only credible journal on world economics
and politics. Spilt Milk, but long dried, crumbled to dust and blown
away.

In an exercise that almost seems like taking candy from children or
shootin fish in a barrel, I must point out that in paragraph four of
the Economist article, we find a completely fallacious collapsed
definition"... Homo economicus-maximising something that economists
call utility, and  biologists fitness." Heck, I can live with a
carefully explained conflation, but I'll be double dipped in s__t
before I accept an unexplained collapse of concepts from two
different disciplines that are NOT equivalent.

Let me go a bit further. When we get to the point that this current
fad of applying anthropomorphism to the analysis of biological
phenomena can be looked at in decent retrospect, many people are
going to feel the kind of embarassment I feel when I see "Saturday
Night Fever." (I owned and wore a pair of platform shoes.) As long as
it was a harmless fiction used to explain apparent behavior of genes
or gene pools, and was only used as that, a convenient fiction,
attributing motives to genes was okay. When it gets to this point
someone needs to say, "Hey wake up!"

DNA does not code for altruism and economic, heuristic, behavior has
nothing at all whatsoever to do with the alignment of base pairs in a
sugar peptide chain. Except, of course, that the heuristics are
performed by macrobiological entities built up of those sugar-peptide
chains who ought to know better than to indulge in this kind of utter
confused thinking.

Ciao,
Rex