   Re: [xml-dev] DOM AS and RELAX?

3/28/2002 4:49:10 PM, Fredrik Lindgren <fredrik.lindgren@chello.se> wrote:

>My main concern are the parts related to modification of schemas and
>their impact on the whole design. What is discomforting is that
>something called Abstract Schemas has constants, methods and attributes
>that gives the impression of being a union of known schema constructs
>rather than the intersection.

You're right ... it is pretty much the intersection, or basically DTD
functionality the details of the underlying schema language
abstracted away.

>The specified types of content models are a union of the ones for DTDs
>and XML Schema. In DTDs we have AS_CHOICE and AS_SEQUENCE. XML Schema
>has these and adds AS_ALL. As far as I can see some patterns that are
>available in RELAX NG such as interleave can not be supported.

The idea of using a string/URI to represent a wider range of options
makes sense to me.  I'll bring it up ...

>Apart from RELAX NG having a problem with this DTD centric model I can't
>say that it's obvious how a Schematron based schema would fit into the
>model either.

No, it's not :~) That was clearly not in scope a couple of years ago when
the DOM AS work was begun, and I'm not sure that any useable abstraction
COULD cover DTDs, RELAX, XSD, and Schematron.  Ideas, anyone?